Its been bloody hot and whilst I realise I’m starting to look like a stuck record I cant help but make the most of my ice cream maker or as I like to call it – get some scooping practice (for this years ice cream van runs).
Ive also long had an obsession with Ben and Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream – but have found it increasingly hard to find any in the shops here in the UK. So after opening a pressie to find some chocccywoccydoodah dark chocolate and pulling out some frozen morello cherries I decided today was the day to try and emulate my favourite treat.
so here it is – my Choc&cherry ice cream…
- 200 ml semi skimmed milk
- 400 ml double cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 180g sugar
- Tsp vanilla essence (or a pod if you have one)
- 300g frozen cherries
- 150g sugar
- 100g bar of good dark chocolate
To make the custard base…
- Gently heat the milk, cream, vanilla and half the sugar in a pan until it almost boils
- Meanwhile whisk together the rest of the sugar and the egg yolks until thick and creamy
- Take the milk off the heat and gradually add to the egg yolk mix, returning to the saucepan.
- put back on a gentle heat and for the next 5 mins whisk the mix in the pan – do not allow this to boil!!
- Once the custard thickens to the point that you can coat the back of a spoon take off the heat and allow to cool before chilling for at least 2 hours. (an ice bath helps here)
To make the cherries…
- In a pan combine the defrosted cherries (including 2 tablespoon of the juice and sugar, then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes. You are aiming for a loose jammy consistency.
- Leave this to cool completely
- Meanwhile chop up your chocolate into small chunks (I used a mezzaluna)
To make your ice cream…
- Add a few drops of the cherry juice to your custard and mix thoroughly.
- Add the custard mix to your ice cream maker and after 10 minutes add in half the cherry mix. After another 20 minutes add in the rest as well as the chocolate chunks and leave the machine to do its thing till it’s finished. (I did 50 minutes in my cuisinart)
- When the machine has finished, transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and allow to harden some more