Im useless at getting organised in the morning. My brain just doesn’t function that early and I always end up either with a bacon roll from Greggs or Marmite toast. Neither of these are particularly good for me and my doctors have been banging on at me about having porridge for breakfast for years – but Ive always avoided it because of the work involved that early – and I just have never got excited by it.
Until that is someone told me about overnight oats. This truly was a game changer!! Popping everything in a jar the night before (when I’m actually functioning) and letting the oats do their work just appeals to my lazy gene.
The other beauty of overnight oats is the fact that you can make it truly your own. I added in all the things I love and the next morning got to take a tasty, creamy breakfast to work with me – with literally zero effort.
- Maple Syrup (I used sugar free)
- Dried fruit (a make my own mix of currants, cranberries and cherries)
- Fresh berries – I used blueberries
You will note that I haven’t given measurements here – thats because you want to make the amount you need – and it all depends on the jar you use. You want roughly 50% dry to wet ingredients.
It couldn’t be easier to do…
- In you jar add in the oats, add in your dried fruit and shake with the lid on.
- Next add in the fresh berries and a squirt of maple syrup (or whatever sweet thing you like) lastly top up with milk and pop on the lid – one final shake and pop it in the fridge over night.
- Next morning take this out and take it to work with you. if things are a little dry you can always loosen it up a bit by adding some more milk. You can either eat these cold or do as I do and microwave to warm through.
You can truly make this your own. Try adding yoghurt, nuts, seeds, banana, peanut butter, honey, the options are endless. Seem like the perfect breakfast to me