I’ll let you into a secret – I am not a fan of cauliflower – it started in childhood and whilst other foods have become something i now happily eat I will never choose Cauli. I do however, thanks most to my hubby, have a secret craving for Cauliflower cheese whenever I have roast chicken.
I have been known to keep a bag of frozen cauli cheese (its actually quite good) in the freezer incase the craving hits but for sunday roasts only homemade will do. So here it is – my recipe for cauliflower cheese…
- 1 large cauliflower broken into pieces
- 500ml milk
- 4 tbs flour
- 50g butter
- 100g strong grated cheese
- a good grating of fresh parmesan to finish
- Heat oven to 220C/200C/gas 7. (if you are cooking chicken add this in when you take the chook out to rest)
- First steam your cauliflower till tender but still firm (up to 5 mins)
- Take the steamer off the water and set aside to cool whilst you make the sauce
- In a saucepan heat the milk, flour and butter, whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil until the sauce thickens nicely.
- Take off the heat then stir in 3/4 of the cheese
- In an ovenproof dish lay out your cauliflower, then pour over the cheese sauce, scattering the remaining cheese and some parmesan over like below…
- Pop into the oven and bake till golden and slightly browned on top (should be about 20 minutes)
Cauliflower cheese is a creamy, cheesy, gorgeous addition to any roast, and works particularly well with Chicken. In fact I often have these instead of potatoes and, whilst no-one could describe these as healthy, they do have much less carbohydrate than potatoes.