I’m actually writing this maple mustard glazed gammon recipe on Christmas Eve as I realised I hadn’t got it detailed anywhere and with my memory going the way it is I thought it best to get this somewhere safe before I forget how!!
I love gammon almost better than turkey on the big day and a sandwich of this cold with a wedge of good cheddar and a pickled onion make my day Christmas Day complete. Also it’s a simple recipe which I make on Christmas Eve to make the big day even easier.
- A large smoked gammon joint
For the broth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 spring of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Enough water to cover the joint
For the glaze
- 150ml maple syrup
- 2 tbs course grain mustard
- Cloves to stud the gammon
- 1 tbs Worcester sauce
- Add all the ingredients for the broth to the pan and submerge the gammon joint in it.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour and a half
- Allow to cool slightly before taking the top layer of skin off the joint
- Crisps cross the gammon fat to make Diamond shapes
- Stud each diamond point with a clove and set aside
- Mix the remaining glaze ingredients and smother the gammon
- Roast for 15 minutes high then baste
- Return to the oven for a further 30 mins then set aside till you want to eat it