My new job has inspired me to start a weekly bakeoff at work and I thought the best way of doing that would be to inspire them with my ( ok Nigellas) signature chocolate fudge cake.
Now I say it’s Nigellas because I thought that’s where I got the recipe but now I’ve just tried to find it online I can’t (if any of you know which Nigella recipe this is based on, let me know!!) The reason I make this cake is simply because it is soooo simple to make.
Just whack all the ingredients in a kenwood chef and 5 minutes later you have the cake mix!! My top tip is to use one deep cake tin instead of 2 as it comes out ultra moist . However you do it it’s almost impossible to mess up…
– 263g Plain flour
– 265g caster sugar
– 3 tbs cocoa powder
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1.5 tsp bicarb of soda
– 225ml semi skimmed milk
– 225ml sunflower or corn oil
– 3 tbs golden syrup
– 3 eggs
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting…
– 200g Butter or marg at room temperature
– 200g melted dark chocolate
– 200g Icing sugar
– 1tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4
First make the frosting….
- Melt the chocolate in a Bain Marie
- Blend the butter and icing sugar in a Kenwood with paddle attachment
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and continue to beat till fully combined
- Scrape the sides down to make sure you get everything fully combined
- leave in fridge to chill down for now
Next make the cake…
- Measure all dry ingredients into a kenwood mixer
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and other wet ingredients
- Mix on full power for 5 minutes- now don’t panic this should be runny!!
- While waiting, line and grease a 9 inch springform tin
- Pour the mix into the tin and put into the middle of the oven Cooking for 45 minutes
- Keep checking & if it starts to burn cover with foil use a skewer to check if done
- When a skewer comes out clean take your cake out of the oven & leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins.
- Gently ease a knife around the edges then remove the springform sides
- Put a wire rack over the cake and flip it, removing the base and allowing to cool completely
- Slice in half to create a top and a bottom disc, putting the bottom on a serving plate and cover with frosting.
- Sandwich the top layer on top and then completely cover the cake with frosting
Trust me your family and friends will LOVE YOU because this cake is Truly Flabulous!!
2 Comments Add yours