I’m feeling the need of something comforting yet healthy this week as work has been all out. So I thought this weekend I would dedicate to making something I haven’t made for a couple of years but I used to LOVE – My Bean Goo – or bean chili to the uninitiated!! It’s a pretty foolproof recipe and freezes amazingly!! Whats more it works well with rice, tortilla or even crusty bread so is a nice versatile treat.
If its so foolproof why haven’t I made it for 2 years I hear you cry? The answer is simple – I don’t know. Its one of those recipes that I made for years but then just forgot to make for a couple of months and then it dropped off my radar – but I have a veggie friend who asked for the recipe so I thought id reinvent it!!
- A Squirt of Garlic
- Glug of Olive Oil
- 1 large Red Onion
- 3 sticks Celery
- 1 medium Carrot
- 2 tins chopped tomato and 1 Jar pasatta
- handful of Mushrooms and 1 Courgette
- 3 tins of mixed beans ( I used Butter, Kidney & Borlotti)
- Handful of green lentils
- tsp each of Chili flakes and Smoked Paprika
- Thyme, Cumin and other herbs of choice
- Finely chop the Onion, Celery and Carrot
- Gently heat the garlic in the oil and then sweat off the veggies till soft.
- Add in the chili smoked paprika and herbs then stir
- Add in the tomatoes, pasatta and handful of green lentils and combine
- after 10 mins throw in the chopped mushrooms and Courgette
- Drain the beans and then add these into the mix
- Cover and simmer for up to an hour (longer doesn’t matter)
- Season and serve with rice etc.
I usually add a blob of creme fraiche or some grated cheese to this and it is divine!! I make up this huge batch and then freeze in individual portions in bags. I then defrost what I need when I need it. It microwaves really well and makes a fab packed lunch too
One Comment Add yours
Reblogged this on My Flabulous Blog and commented:
Its January – its cold and I want something healthy and warming – then I remembered my bean chili….Nom Nom Nom