I got given these amazing Russian doll cup measures for my birthday and have been desperate to try them out for ages. Ive also not baked in a while so this morning when i couldn’t sleep i took to Pinterest and my fridge to work out what I could bake.
I came across this recipe for a flabulous blueberry vanilla bread with lemon glaze from Julia’s album that I had to try. I doubled the glaze ingredients as I like lots of drizzle and put in a whole pack of blueberries (1 1/4 cups) and it still came out fine.
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 & 1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Lemon glaze:
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 170c gas mark 5
- Butter a loaf tin, line the bottom & two sides with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt
- Stir into egg mixture alternately with milk.
- Toss blueberries in 2 tbs flour. This will help prevent blueberries from sinking.
- Fold lemon zest and blueberries into the batter then Pour into loaf tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45/ 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool bread in tin for 40 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Combine freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 cup icing sugar in a small bowl and beat, with a whisk until smooth glaze forms .
- Drizzle the top of the bread (after it’s been completely cooled) with the glaze. Some of the glaze will go down the sides of the bread.