Whilst you are in hospital you are gradually introduced to puree stage. When you get home you need to continue introducing textures gradually to allow for your new tummy to heal. The strange thing is you don’t really want to think about food and yet you have to eat 6 times a day!!
Advice you are given is….
- Food should have no lumps and should be smooth like the consistency of yogurt.
- Do not eat and drink more than 2 tbs or 100-200ml at a time
- you need to blend and liquidize and use a sieve
- add liquid to help achieve smooth consistency (add stock, gravy, milk, low fat mayo)
- Puree things separately so you get different flavours on your plate
- prepare in advance (My advice is not too much as you may go off things quickly.
What you eat…
2-4 tablespoons of Weetabix or Readybrek
- 100- 200 mls of soup with Protein
- 2-4 Tbs tinned spaghetti
A balanced meal of protein, vegetable and potato consisting of…
- 1-2 Tbs meat/fish
- 1/2 – 1 tbs vegetables
- 1/2 – 1 tbs potato
You should have three times a day from selection below. You should space these between meals and each portion should contain 2-4 tbs of…
- Low sugar custard
- Pureed fruit
- Low sugar rice pudding
- peanut butter
- OR 100mls milky drink
Vitamins calcium and iron are all prescribed and you will be sent home from hospital with these. Any other medication or supplements are very person specific.